Having an accident can be a traumatic experience that can leave you shaken and not thinking clearly. Here's a quick list of helpfull Do's and Don'ts to help you stay focused and prioritize what needs to be done.
- Stop and turn off the ignition
- Call 911 if there are any serious injuries
- Turn your emergency flashers on.
- Exchange names, address, phone numbers & insurance information with the other driver(s).
- If you can, use your cell phone to take photos of the entire scene, damaged vehicles and property.
- Obtain witness names, addresses and phone numbers.
- File an official Accident Report with the police. This is the law and it must be done within 48 hours.
- Notify your insurance company immediately.
- Move anybody who's injured, unless absolutely necessary.
- Discuss fault, resposibility, circumstances of the accident with the other driver(s).
- Drive your vehicle if it seems unsafe.
- Sign any releases with towing companies, repair shops or insurance companies that you have not read or don't fully understand.